Sunday, February 1, 2009

Week 2ish

I can't believe I've only been here about 2 1/2 weeks. It feels like so much longer! I guess that's because I actually moved here and settled into a routine, rather than doing the usual vacation and touristy sort of stuff. Though I still make it pretty obvious that I'm a foreigner... especially when I examine each coin in my wallet to figure out how much it's worth while paying for things. Embarrassingly, more than a few cashiers have noticed and said "that's ten... that's twenty... that's five..." and I just sort of awkwardly reply "oh, right.. uh.. thanks..." 

On Friday I went to Cambridge. It is absolutely beautiful. I'll post some photos. I sort of had mixed feelings about the whole atmosphere of the place, though. Even though it was breathtakingly beautiful, it is literally the only thing in the town of Cambridge. People that go to that school must live and breathe university... because there isn't anything else there! That's partly what I love about NYU... it is so easy to have a life outside of the university. I do not think I would want to give that up, no matter how pretty a campus may be. 

I've been spending some time at this bar nearby called the Euston Flyer. It has a traditional English breakfast all day long (two fried eggs, two pieces of toast, two pieces of bacon, two pieces of sausage, baked beans, coffee or tea). But if that isn't reason enough to go there, they have really unique ales (not that I can tell the difference, but so I've been told) and a really laid back environment. I've decided that will be my new bar to head to for meeting up with everyone before we all go out.

My friends and I decided we would have a wild night out last night since we hadn't done anything too crazy on Friday night... it was a great time... we went to three different places which were all great... until last call at only 11! Needless to say, our wild night did not end up being very wild. But definitely some fun places to go, as long as we find a different place nearby that closes later on. 

Today was Chinese New Year, which is apparently a really big deal here. We went down to Leicester Square and Trafalgar Square to see the festivities... In Trafalgar Square was a big stage with dancers and tons of people crowding around it. Leicester square was also crowded, with dragons and firecrackers. I have definitely had my fix of Chinese food for a while. 

Tonight some friends are going to a pub for the superbowl... but it doesn't begin until 11:30, so I may be a dork and stay home instead... I have to get up at 6 for work, and it is definitely hard enough to stay awake there when I am not super "lackard." My job here is not the most exciting... but at least I have one. 

OH. My most exciting news for the week. I've booked my spring break trip to... SICILY. I'll be going there for 6 nights with some friends, then heading back and my parents arrive the following day. I'm saving up a lot of the touristy London stuff for when they are here. I may or may not join the rest of my friends in Dublin when they leave. We will fly into Palermo, Sicily and hopefully stay in a hotel there. Can't wait =)

Andddd I can't wait for the middle of March when my sister and friend from home come to visit. I have to think of lots of fun things for us to do! 

I guess that's all for now. I'm going to the London Philharmonic this Wednesday... they are performing some Beethoven. Should be very culturally enlightening and all that.

No comments: